Posted on May 14, 2013

First (Wrong) Impressions

First Impressions banner

Lizzy Bennet’s fundraising mission is to keep her homeless centre’s clients well-fed through a cold prairie winter. She meets the snobby and pompous William Darcy of Fitz & William Enterprises. While she’d never dare ask him for help, she can’t stop bumping into him — sometimes, quite literally.

But when Lizzy’s campaign is cut short by the disappearance of her sixteen year old sister, William and his younger sister step in to help the woman they want to make part of their family.

Inspired by Jane Austen’s classic, Pride and Prejudice, First (Wrong) Impressions is Lizzy’s quest for happiness, security, and love in the 21st century.

Purchase Now!

12 Responses to “First (Wrong) Impressions”

1. Holly E. says:

Loved First Impressions. I have read many variations and could not put it down. Some of the language was ok, but to me, not necessary. Hope you write more Jane Austen variation esp P&P.

2. Lisa Lang says:

I’m curious about why you chose to make Jane’s character an amputee. Can you explain your thought behind her character?

• Krista says:

My Mom is an amputee, so I wanted a way to represent people like her. So few disabled characters exist and I wanted to take a very well-known one and give her a new challenge in a modern world. I also wanted her relationship with Charles to be more about her journey to accepting herself than about finding a man to settle down with. In Pride and Prejudice, Jane doesn’t take Charles back immediately. She insists for those first few meetings that they are just friends. Then, she stops insisting when she realizes she does still care for him. I wanted my Jane to have that opportunity, too.

In many ways, the cast of FWI is reflective of my world and the people in my life, past and present.

• Lisa says:

My seven-year-old daughter is also an amputee. I knew from the way you wrote Jane’s character that you were either a very good researcher, or there was someone close in your life who was an amputee. I loved Jane’s character. I agree that there are very few disabled characters in literature. I wish for the sake of my daughter and others that this wasn’t the case. Anytime I find such a book, I treasure it. If you have any suggestions for books like yours, I would love to read them. Thank you.

• Krista says:

Thank you so much for your message. Let me put a call out to see if I can find any YA books with disabled characters! Let’s see what we can find.

• SharonB says:

Thank you for your book representing someone with a disability. As a mother of a child with a severe disability I can’t tell you how much it means to me to see any step towards inclusion! Unrelated question I know, but I just read the summary of your Tranquility series on this site and was very interested – tried to order on my Kobo, but they are no longer available. Do you plan to have them available on Kobo anytime soon?

• Krista says:

Hi Sharon!

Thanks so much for your note. Inclusion is so important. After all, the world around us isn’t all the same; why should our fiction be any different?

As for Tranquility, it’s in a weird transition place. Grief (Book 2) is still under contract, so it’s still up. However, Blaze (Book 1) just came back to my control. I’m in the process of updating links and whatnot. Blaze is exclusive with Amazon for the next 6 months as part of a promotion. However, if you pick it up on Amazon, please feel free to drop me an email and I’ll give you an epub to use on your Kobo. Alternatively, you can also use a free program called Calibre to convert the Amazon file. I don’t use DRM on my books, so Calibre will work!

I should note that the Tranquility series is a war series, and there are some violent scenes which have bothered some readers.

Thanks again!
          Krista

3. Regina Silvia says:

Just finished First Impressions and I am quite impressed! I read many “what if’s” and modern variations of P&P as Darcy is my favorite character in literature. What you have done with all these characters is quite interesting, especially the almost paralytic shyness of Darcy and the bi/gay relationships of major characters. I do hope there will be a sequel; Darcy and Lizzy’s story in the world of homeless shelters both in Canada and the US is just beginning…

• Regina says:

• Krista says:

Hi Regina, there is a “sequel” planned, though it’s not specifically a Darcy & Lizzy adventure one. It’s about Fanny :) There isn’t a timeline set right now, since my fantasy readers are desperately awaiting my epic fantasy novel. I’m hoping late 2014 for the next installment, however.

4. Cathy says:

Loved First (Wrong ) Impressions. The characters were perfect, especially liked having a disabled character who was a strong person. Tried a free version of one of your e-books and think I have purchased all the of your other books that were available.

Thanks from an avid reader!